Preparation, properties and reactions of alkenes:
Physical properties: boiling points, density and dipole moments
Acidity; Acid catalysed hydration of alkenes(excluding the stereochemistry of addition and elimination);
Reactions of alkenes with KMnO4 and ozone;
Reduction of alkenes;
Preparation of alkenes by elimination reactions;
Electrophilic addition reactions of alkenes with X2, HX, HOX and H2O (X=halogen);
1. About alkenes
1. What are alkenes?
2. What is the general formula of alkenes?
3. What is the simplest alkene?
4. What are the bonds in carbon-carbon double bonds (pi and sigma bonds)?
5. What is the carbon-carbon bond length ethene?
3. Isomerism in alekenes
4. Stability of alkenes
5. Preparation of alkenes
1. How do you prepare alkenes from alcohols?
2. How do you prepare alkens from alkyl halides?
3. How do you prepare alkens from vicinal dihalides?
4. How do you prepare alkens from alkynes?
5. How do you prepare alkens from potassium salts of dicarboxylic acids?
6. Physical properties
1. Which alkenes are gases at room temperature?
2. Which alkenes are liquids at room temperature?
3. Which alkenes are solids at room temperature?
4. Compare melting points of alkenes with that of alkanes.
5. Compare melting points of trans-alkens with cis-alkenes.